Monday, August 11, 2008

Visit to Neonatologist

My first visit to the neonatologist was today. It was a little sad having to make it over to visit the doctor without Ernie. In general, being here seems almost like I'm back at college and living in my old apartment-minus the kitchen and pool! Dr. Hentz is the neonatologist who will be in charge of the team taking care of the baby as soon as he is born. She went over the typical procedures that would occur upon birth. Most importantly, they will be taking the baby into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and will begin monitoring him immediately. If he seems pretty stable when he is born we will be able to hold him briefly prior to them taking him over to the NICU. After he finds his new home in the NICU, we will not be able to hold him for several weeks or months. That is going to be very difficult....

One of the first medications they will be giving him is prostaglandins. This is a medication used to keep the ductus arteriosus open. This will allow for free mixing of the blood between the chambers of the heart and allows the baby to live until his first surgery. Dr. Hentz explained that a baby will typically be scheduled for the first surgery within a week of birth and having babies on prostaglandins for even a month or more is "okay." She also discussed the possibility of the baby being intubated immediately. I am hoping this isn't the case-I pray for as little intervention as possible before surgery.

My next doctor's visit will be to the OB, Dr. Cheuh, on Wednesday. According to Dr. Hentz, she has spoken to Dr. Cheuh and feels that Dr. Cheuh will have a scheduled induction date for me on my visit. After having the last 3 children as scheduled, I feel I prefer this! I just hope baby continues following the plan.

One of the strange things we have encountered was the difference in "guestimate" of the baby's weight via ultrasound. On my last OB visit in Las Cruces the ultrasound technician told us that the baby was just under 8 pounds. This added to our urgency to go ahead and get out to California right away, seeing as this kid was very well ready. Well, on my ultrasound here at Stanford they thought the baby was 7lbs 4 oz but told us the ultrasound had a plus or minus of 1 pound!!! No one has ever told us that about ultrasounds before. Since we are at a highly regarded institution, I tend to want to believe them.

On a few side notes, I had dinner here at the house. It was provided by a local restaurant and consisted of chicken burritos with all the trimmings. Very nice. I ended up speaking to another Mom for a while, and was soon approached by some of the volunteers at RMH. Ernie had called looking for me. I left my cell phone in the room and he had been calling for sometime. They were so concerned and ended up checking my room and finally locating me for him. I was glad to hear they were able to look after me. I was then promptly scolded, by Ernie, for not carrying my phone! Something I am told I must have at all times! ; )

Jordyn started school today and Ernie took her in to meet her teacher, who Ernie said was very nice. Jordyn rode the bus to Grandma's house after school and seemed to like it. I miss the kids so much!

No comments: