Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Journey REALLY begins August 1, 2008

It was about 2:00 am on August 1, 2008 that our baby was telling me that he is just about ready to enter life outside the womb. I woke up Ernie and told him I thought we should visit the hospital to see what all these contractions were about. After quick showers, we got dressed and I packed MY bags we headed into town. Just as we were to turn towards the hospital I suggested we should just go to the office and print out payroll and other misc checks. I'm sure the guys would appreciate having their checks just in case we wouldn't be back! After a couple of hours at the office, we then were headed back to the hospital. My contractions had pretty much disappeared, and again, at the turn to the hospital, I decided we should just go home. So home, we went and I finally fell asleep around 5:00 am. After some fitfull sleep, I decided I had finally had enough and we got ready, AGAIN, and went in to town. I thought eating might help a bit. so we stopped at Sonic and tried to eat something. We finally checked into the hospital and I was promptly monitored. Yes, in fact I was having contractions. Dr. Nwakuchu came in and decided I needed to be on IV fluids. So there I lay, hours of waiting. It was just what I thought would happen and probably why I really didn't want to stop there in the first place. At about 1:30 Dr. Nwakuchu came in and strongly suggested that we get ourselves out to California. Wow! I really wasn't ready to be told that. Our scheduled date to leave was August 10th and the kids wouldn't be back from Mexico until August 4th! We really didn't feel like we had a choice, so off we went to the office to try and book some tickets out ASAP. Ernie went over to our friend, Scott Nichols, and asked if he would be able to let us use his plane to fly to Albuquerque. Our other friend, Matt Ormond, was to be the pilot. Yes, Ernie would have flown us, but his plane would have gotten us there in twice the time and besides he hasn't trained to fly a turbo prop yet. Anyhow, Scott said , "Yes" and we were set to go. The tickets were purchased and Ernie just had to go back home and pack his bag, stop at the bank, let Michael know what was going on, make sure we asked him to do some important things and we could head out. In the meantime, our friends, JC and LeAnn Robinson, contacted Scott and through LeAnn's insistance, asked him if we could just use the plane to go direct! Again, Scott generously agreed. Matt agreed and so now we were to fly straight over. I cancelled the tickets out of Albuquerque and we went to Grant County Airport where we took off at 7:00pm. After a short 3:10 minute flight, we were in San Jose. We got the rental car, found Matt and his son, Phillip, a hotel and went out to eat. At approx 2:00 am (home town time) we got to our hotel and managed to fall dead asleep! You are probably wondering about those contractions that started the whole series of events. Well, after all those IV fluids, they have mostly gone away! I had called the nurse coordinator at the Stanford Labor & Delivery Unit and she told me that although she heard of me, my file wasn't ready yet. If I go into labor during the weekend, I should just go in and see if they can go into the high risk ob nurses' office and locate my paperwork. Let's just pray that baby can hang out until sometime next week! Baby T-you are on your way......oh, we still don't have a name yet either!

No comments: